Island Beach SP - Wilson’s Plover 4/22/24

     My last few trips to Island Beach State Park have signaled a slow change of the seasons.  Most of the winter waterfowl have pulled out, and the numbers of the few lingering species have significantly dwindled.  Breeding colors are quickly replacing the basic plumage of many remaining birds.  Spring migrants are beginning to appear, though not as many as I would like to see.  My anticipation of new arrivals is bordering on impatience.  

It has become harder to spot scoters, eiders and long-tailed ducks.  The only two eiders I have seen lately is a pair of king eiders.  On Monday, I was down to only six long-tailed ducks.  The only horned grebe I saw was in nearly full alternate plumage, as are most of the common loons that are still around.  On the flip side, eastern towhee and white-eyed vireo numbers are steadily increasing.  All of the expected waders, except for green heron,  are now regular sights in the marshes.  Even white ibis are present, and will hopefully make breeding attempts in the area.  Warblers are still slow to appear at the coastal park.  For the year so far I have only logged yellow-rumped warblers, pine warbler, a very early hooded warbler, palm warbler and common yellowthroat.

On Monday, I had worked my way down to the inlet at the park’s southern end.  I had a decent amount of bird species for the day but no new year species.  I was about to wrap up the day with a drive back north along the beach when I received a text about a rare bird alert at the park.  Someone had reported a Wilson’s plover at the park’s north end.  Wilson’s plovers used to breed on Long Beach Island decades ago, but not since the early 1960’s.  Now they are a New Jersey Bird Records Committee Reviewable Species.  All of my sightings of this bird have occurred in Florida.  According to my research, this would be the first one for Island Beach.  I needed to see this bird.  

Luckily, there was not much other bird activity along the beach as I hurriedly made my way north.  The bird was seen on the northern natural area beach where vehicles are prohibited.  I had to exit the beach and park in a lot with beach access.  I drove to the Reeds Road trail parking lot where I met my friend, Alex, who was going to look for the bird.  We trudged out over the sandy access path to the beach.  Our initial search came up empty, but we kept in touch with others also searching at other points along the beach.  No one was having luck, so Alex and I each drove north to search just outside the park.  After that move, my friend and I separated.  That would not have been a problem, except that my phone battery died.  I was then off the grid.

If someone found the bird I was out of the communication loop.  Likewise, if I found it I had no way to let anyone know.  The former outcome being more likely than the latter.  I decided to drive back on the beach and head south back towards the inlet.  Maybe the bird would hook up with the piping plovers I had seen down that way.  Other than sanderlings and a single oystercatcher, there were no other shorebirds along that route.  Dejected, I made my way back north. My last option was to return to the first spot where Alex and I had looked for the bird.  If no luck, I would have to wait until I got home and put my phone on a charger to get any updates.  As I approached Reeds Road I saw several familiar cars in the lot.  I parked and hoofed my way to the beach yet again.

As I got near the beach another friend was walking away, and he said the bird is there.  Yay!  Up ahead,  I saw Alex and a few others photographing it.  When they saw me walking up, a few said they tried contacting me.   Of course, once at home and the phone on a charge, those texts started to come through.  I appreciate their efforts.
Wilson’s plover, Island Beach SP.  © S. Weiss

Left, semipalmated plover.  Right, piping plover.   © S. Weiss
The above two plovers, similar to Wilson’s plover, are the plovers likely seen in New Jersey.  The Wilson’s is larger overall.  Plumage color is different, especially with the piping plover.  Wilson’s legs are duller than the other two.  Facial pattern is different between the three.  Most prominent is the bill size and color of the Wilson’s compared to the others.

The Wilson’s plover is a new state bird for me and brought my patch list for the park up to 285 species.  I have to get a car adapter for my charger before I miss number 286.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Jersey’s First Limpkin. 11/13/2023

24 Hour Cape May Pelagic, 6/18-6/19- Skua, Jaeger, Beaked Whales, Devil Ray, Hammerhead Sharks and more

Cruise to Bahamas- Antillean Nighthawk, Red-legged Thrush & Bahama Woodstar