New Jersey’s First Limpkin. 11/13/2023

     Yesterday, reports were circulating of a limpkin at a private residence in Manasquan, Monmouth County.  Pictures of the bird appeared on a Facebook page.  The reports were confirmed, and this was the first limpkin for New Jersey.  Pending acceptance by the New Jersey Birds Record Committee, this will be the 497th species recorded in the state.

I am not a Facebook subscriber, so I did not hear about the bird until late on Sunday.  Earlier today, an administrator of the NJ Rare Birds GroupMe reported that the bird was still in town and the homeowners were allowing viewers to see the bird.  I saw that report in midafternoon.  I have seen the bird many times in Florida, where it should be.  I always threw that bird name out whenever there was a discussion about what would be among the next possible birds to appear in the Garden State.  So, after some self-contemplating, I decided to give it a try.  I put the address in to my car navigation system and I was less than a half hour away.  When I got to the street where it was located, I saw two familiar birders walking back to their cars.  They said it was still there, right around the corner and the homeowner was allowing people to come into the driveway to view the bird.  
New Jersey's first limpkin.  © S. Weiss
Manasquan, Monmouth County, NJ 11/13/2023

I parked my car across the street from the group of people I saw standing in the driveway.  I walked up the driveway, said “Hello” to a couple more familiar faces and saw the bird only about 20 yards away in the yard.  It was picking the lawn for food, unfazed by the group of people watching it.  As far as chases go, this was probably one of the easiest ticks one can ever have.  I don’t know how long this bird will last, but I’m sure it will move on when it realizes apple snails (their preferred diet) are not as readily available here as they are down south.  And if the southern visitor gets to vocalizing, it might wear out its welcome with its loud, eerie wail.

 Now, if the sage thrasher that was concurrently being seen about 60 miles to the south hangs around for one more day, then that will be another bird I will have to go find.  It would be a lifer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 Hour Cape May Pelagic, 6/18-6/19- Skua, Jaeger, Beaked Whales, Devil Ray, Hammerhead Sharks and more

Cruise to Bahamas- Antillean Nighthawk, Red-legged Thrush & Bahama Woodstar